Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a ge profile microwave that was running and all the…

Customer Question
I have a ge...

I have a ge profile microwave that was running and all the sudden it shut down and will not come back on.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

3 years Profile

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When it shut down I had a smell of burnt wires

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Appliance
4/2/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 21 days ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

To be clear, you are saying the unit is 100% dead correct? With no signs of life? Do you happen to have a model number located on a sticker just inside the door way so I can better assist you?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Dead , PVM9179SK1SS

OK you will need to first plug the microwave into another outlet using an extension cord to make sure it's getting 110 volts. If it still won't turn on, unplug the unit and unscrew the top vent panel above the door and control panel. Then unscrew the screw at the top of the control panel. The panel will slide up about 1 inch and hinge forward and backwards. Now you can see behind the control panel and there is a small board which looks like the part in the link below. This is your electricity noise filter. Test the fuse and make sure it has continuity. If the fuse is bad, replace the noise filter. If the fuse is good, the display control board will need to be replaced.

CLICK HERE to see noise filter

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc