Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a KitchenAid model KFIV29PCMS00 french door

Customer Question
I have a KitchenAid...

I have a KitchenAid model KFIV29PCMS00 french door refrigerator. For the past several months, about every 7 to 10 days it quits cooling. The symptoms are that It starts with the ice maker stop making ice very soon followed by not cooling in the refrigerator or freezer. I tool all the shelves and drawers out of the refrigerator unit and found a lot of frost build up coming out of the louvers at the base of the "air tower" (part number 40 at the following PartSelect link (https://www.partselect.com/ModelSections.aspx?ModelID=1916412&ModelNum=KFIV29PCMS00&mfgModelNum=&ManufactureID=3&Selected=5128LXL6&Position=9&mfg=Whirlpool&Type=Refrigerator&Mark=9). If I let the refrigerator defrost for 12 hours or so, and turn it on again, it works fine for 7 to 10 days before it starts again. It seems like it is not automatically (continually) defrosting.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I gave you the exact model. It is KFIV29PCMS00 and we have had it about 4 1/2 years.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What are the parts that could cause it not to defrost automatically?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
4/2/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

Give me a few minutes to pull up information on this model.
I am Also Assisting you along with other customers so there may be a delay in responses to do not panic just wait for my reply thank you.

OK

if you open the freezer door do you see any frost or ice on the rear interior freezer wall panel ?

The #40 air tower in the fresh food section should not have ANY frost on iot at all .

Do all doors seem to be closing properly ?

No. I am not having the problem right now, but the frost buildup is in the refrigerator, at the base of the air tower.
I mean I am not having any problem right now, but when it occurs the frost build up (very big, coming out the louvers in the air tower) is within the refrigerator compartment.

ok the only reason you may ever get frost on item #40 in the fresh food section is if a door has been left ajar and warm moist air is getting in the EVaporator coil behind the rear panel and air tower section , thus when it gets warm moist air it frost up there.

But that's where the frost was. It is the vertical rectangular area that flares out at the bottom. Maybe I have the wrong part name number, but that is what it looks like.
But the doors seem to close securely, requiring a firm pull to open them.

yes I know where the frost is BUT if you rear my post fully , if your getting frost on the air tower in the Fresh food section the MOST common issue is a door having been left open / ajar thus allowing warm moist air into the unit .

Can we save this as an open problem so I can take some pictures when this occurs again and submit them?

could have some one put something in either the fresh food or freezer section that did not allow the doors to fully close. even for a few hours ?

It could be, but it is so predictable in terms of it happening every 7-10 days.
Can we save this as an open problem and resume in the future.
Are you going to answer?

Just copy and past the questions URL address to your favorites and reply back when you can!

OK. Maybe it is coming out at the base of the evaporator cover (part 35). I will have to pull everything out to be able to see. I will discontinue this right now.

there is a condensation drain opening at the base of the fresh food section Evaporator coil , make sure the drain opening under the coils is not restricted .

Pour some warm water down it and make sure it drains