Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Touchpad on my whirlpool calypso washer is stuck on normal…

Customer Question
Touchpad on my whirlpool...

Touchpad on my whirlpool calypso washer is stuck on normal cycle and won't cancel or start.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is about 10 years old. Calypso model. gvw9959kq2

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well I feel like it is just stuck - my son may have moved it a little bit this weekend and perhaps the touchpad top is a little loose.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I used it yesterday and it worked great. today when I went out the normal light was on with the 44 (cycle time) lit up also. it I unplug they go off but then when I plug back in it goes to the same thing.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 3 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If its' just showing 44 and won't reset, either your control board needs to be reset or it has failed. So lets try to reset the board. To do this press and hold the SOAK and SIGNAL CYCLE buttons together for 10 seconds. If the board doesn't reset, unplug the unit for 5 minutes and try again. If it still won't reset, replace the main control board under the control panel because it has failed.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

it did not reset. the main control board sounds expensive for a 10 year old machine.

Unfortunately it's about $300 so if you wanted to fix it, it wouldn't be a cheap fix. That's up to you, but this washer is actually closer to 15 years old now so I might think about replacing it rather than fixing it.

Your suggestion did not work but I just continued randomly pressing buttons NS and unplugging the unit and bow it appears to be working.

Awesome, well I'm glad it eventually reset. Hopefully it continues to work.