Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Amana washer is leaving grease stains on my clothes. I am…

Customer Question
My Amana washer is...

My Amana washer is leaving grease stains on my clothes. I am trying to remove agitator to clean it. I have the softener cups off, but there is a long stem before I can get to the bolt to remove it, how do I get that out?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

1997

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Model lwa50al serial R9709041922

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/31/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

You will need a ratchet and long extension and 7/16 th socket to get down inside the agitator to be able to remove the bolt holding the agitator to the transmission shaft .

I watched a lot of you tube videos and I know what you are talking about but I can't get to that because there is a long stem that has to be removed first and none of the videos had this long stem,

ok here is a parts break down of your model can you see this stem in the image?

https://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/2/0/00035064/680/900

Or even better can you send me a photo of this stem ?

yes I can see if .

Are you sure that on this agitator that you can not just get your fingers up under it and lift it straight up and off

I tried and my son did as well, won't pull up. We are afraid of breaking it more.

on that design of agitator it pulls right up and under it is the bolt for the spline . so use more force

If I do get the agitator off and get everything cleaned, will this solve the grease problem or is that something else?

Well I can not see the actual substance , but detergent if it does not all dissolve looks gooey like grease also .

So if could just be excessive detergent residue or the center post seal could be leaking , but normally if the center post seal is leaking you will get water on the floor .

Have you ever seen any water on the floor after the washer was used?

No water at all on the floor. I had washed 3 loads before even noticing the grease. Now my whites aren't white any more!

Ok this ((Grease )) can you wash it out of the clothes with just water?

No and I tried stain remover "Shout" and none of it comes out. I already threw out a white sweater that was just covered with this grease,

ok so if it does not wash out it may possibly be GREASE and not detergent , detergent should wash out .

Are you sure that you did not wash something with grease on it ?

I ask because this washer has a transmission but the transmission oil /grease could NEVER get to the clothes .

The transmission is essentially on the outside if the tub that holds the water and clothes .

Okay I will just try to pull agitator off and clean everything. If I break this getting it off, I guess it is time for a new one.

If you end up breaking the agitator her is a link for a new one .

https://www.partadvantage.com/product/inv_12956963