Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I can’t extract the water filter from my Whirlpool

Customer Question
I can’t extract the...

I can’t extract the water filter from my Whirlpool refrigerator

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Ed5fvgxws07

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I don’t know

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/31/2018
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 months ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Here is how it should be removed and you can tell me what is not working. Using your right hand, press in on the button on the left side with your thumb and pull out with your fingers inside the cap. Press hard with your thumb several times if needed until it releases. What happens?

Dave

Nothing

We won't need the phone call. If the "O" ring get dry and stick it will require more force to pull out the filter. Trying this the cap may break or pull off but it is the only way. Do you have someone else that can help? One person push in the button all the way while the other pulls hard on the cap. Let me know if it come out.

No, the is no one else to help
What is an O ring?

If you can get help that should work. If that does not work in extreme cases you need to screw something into the old filter to get a better grip to pull. Can you get someone to help?

No...I cannot get anyone to help

In that case you would need to call for a serviceman. I was hoping a friend or relative could come help?

I do not have friends or relatives.
What is an O Ring?

I understand. You did all you could do and will need to call for service. If you need to know who is authorized for Whirlpool in your area I will need you zip code.

There are two "O" rings that seal the filter in place so it doesn't leak water.

I have no idea what you response concerning O Rings means. 21286

On the end of the filter where it plugs into the refrigerator there are two tubes. They each have a rubber ring seal so it doesn't leak but if they stick it makes the filter harder to pull out. Just a sec. and I will get you a number for service.

You have two choices,

VIA service,(###) ###-####or

At your service,(###) ###-####/p>

One of those numbers isn’t even in the same state. I went through this six months ago...got charged $100 just for some guy to come out and I insert the filter. Same problem again

You other choice would be to just call a handyman that does general repairs. Maybe call where you bought the refig etc.

I didn’t buy the refrigerator and have no idea where it came from. It came with the house

If you can't remove the filter yourself you have no choice but to get help. Either appliance service tech or local handyman if you have one.

I read the answer. I am concerned that every time I need to change the water filter in a nearly new refrigerator will require a $100+ service call, plus the filter itself. Our exchange didn't really answer my question, but I recognize there is nothing further to discuss.

I understand your concern but see no other option for you but to have someone come to help.