Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE Cafe oven and when I push the bake option on the…

Customer Question
I have a GE Cafe...
I have a GE Cafe oven and when I push the bake option on the touchpad the oven starts to heat and then shuts off after approx 5 minutes. When I push the bake mode to restart the process the touchpad is completely inoperative. Model number CGS980SEM2SS
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 26 days ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

And let`s unplug or turn the circuit breaker off for 5 minutes or more ,then give it power and see if it does the same thing .
This unplugging for 5 minutes or more will hopefully reboot the electronic control boards memory.
Let me know what it does.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks Woody. The Model number is ***** Just and FYI, I've done the unplug and circuit breaker reboot multiple times. When I do that I can access the touch pad again. Also I just had a new control board installed last week. The tech was out today to address this issue, check the connections, tried the oven functions and the oven worked fine with no issues. No more than 20 min. after he left I tried the bake function and no response from the touchpad. I unplugged the oven, plugged in back in and the touch screen worked.

Ok let me pull the model information up be right back .

I am helping you along with other customers so there may be a delay in responses to do not panic just wait for my reply thank you.

And has anyone tested the outlet that this gas range is plugged into to verify that it is properly polarized and grounded ?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No the outlet has not been tested.

Do you have a plug in polarity tester or a Volt -Ohm meter to be able to test the outlet at this time?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have a a Volt -Ohm meter but not sure of the testing process.

Check polarity to your outlet LARGE blade to ground 0 volts, small blade to ground 110-120 volts,small blade to LARGE 110-120 volts.
this is very important with electronic controls

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
my Volt -Ohm meter has a black and red cord, both same size.

yes the meter leads are the same size by large and small blades I mean the slots on the outlet itself

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
OK, that makes sense. What setting do I put the ohm meter on?

A/C volts at least the 200 volts scale .

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok, this may take a moment.

No problem!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Sorry for delay, had to read up on my ohm meter. So did the test and voltage checked out fine.
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 25 days ago

Okn so if the polarity and Ground are correct the only other thing it can be is possibly a loose electrical connection either in the range or in the electrical supply to the range .

When it does after the 5 minutes how do you get it to operate once again ?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I unplug it and plug it back in

Ok so essentially just rebooting the electronic control board !

And the control board has just been replaced for this VERY same issue correct?

Is this range plugged into a single or duplex outlet ?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Duplex

ok lets get your meter back out and in the none used outlet of the duplex outlet let`s test for voltage .

Put you meter leads in the outlet slots and leave it so that you can watch the voltage and the with the range still plugged into the second outlet of that duplex outlet turn the range ON and watch the meat closely and see if the voltage drops out or fluctuates at all when the control blanks out .

This will tell us if it is a voltage issue to the range or not , but you will need to watch your meter closely as it get close to that 5 minute mark where it normally blanks out .

John, Home Appliance Technician