Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Freezer is not keeping set temperature. 2009 Whirlpool Gold…

Freezer is not keeping...

Freezer is not keeping set temperature

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?

2009 Whirlpool Gold 3 door w bottom freezer

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just changed the filter ,but had the problem prior

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The temperature is set at 0% f ,but the products e.g., ice cream is soft almost liquid
3/29/2018
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Is the refrigerator keeping temp?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I'M not paying anymore until I get some solid info

Do you have the model number?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
GI5SVAXVLO1
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
S/n KY2051273

Okay, pull the unit out so you can get behind it. Remove the back lower panel to access the compressor area and condenser fan. Check and see if the fan is running and also see if the compressor is vibrating or not, plus see if the compressor is hot ,cold or warm to the touch. please post back to me with what you have found. Also note anything you have changed out part wise or have done and not mentioned in your original post.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Fan is running, compressor is warm to touch not hot

OK the unit is likely running low on freon, check and make sure the condenser is clean. If it is then remove the back panel inside the freezer section and check the evaporator coil. If only part of it is frosted and not the whole thing, the rest being bare aluminum then you have a freon leak. If that is the case the fix is too expensive for the unit and I would start looking for a new one. Note the refrigerator section often will maintain temps still because there is enough freon to get to 37 degreees, but not enough to get to 0 degrees. Check that out and see what you find and get back to me!

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No frost on condenser ,but lots of dust and accumulated dirt around coils, in process of cleaning it now.

OK check the evaporator coil that is behind the freezer panel in the unit.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I can't get to it now without taking everything out of the freezer and it's full
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
What should I look for once I get to the evaporater

See if it looks like this if so it is out of freon...CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok thank you . Could all the dirt be the problem ?

Possibly but not if it is super warm. If it is all frosted over that could also cause the issue, but that would be fixable as it would just be a defrosting issue.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok Thanks again
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician