Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I’ve got a Samsung French door fridge, model RFG237AAPN. The…

Hi, I’ve got a...

Hi, I’ve got a Samsung French door fridge, model RFG237AAPN. The display panel is live but buttons are unresponsive. The child lock is OFF. I’d like to replace the display panel. I THINK the model number for the replacement part is DA97-07821U — could you confirm that? There is one screw on the bottom of the display panel, to right of ice spout, but I am not sure where the side releases are, nor can I find anything on the web telling me how to remove the panel without damaging the fridge door. Can you help?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

That is the exact model number, listed above. It’s about 5-6 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I’d like to

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Please just answer the questions, clearly stated above

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. Have you tried unplugging your appliance for 5 minutes to do a hard reset yet? If unplugging is not easy to do turning off the breaker for 5 minutes does the same thing.

I turned off circuit breaker for 15 mins yesterday. When power was restored, I could switch buttons from water (stuck position) to ice, and also check the temp settings (which were more of a concern). After 2 minutes, the display again froze, on WATER again. After refreeze of display, no button would work.
Travis — are you still there?

ok ​so it sounds like the problem is your control board has died and is going to need to be replaced.

Do you mean the display board on the front left door, or the control board in the back of the fridge?

the display door on the front left door. Give me a moment to pull up your part for you.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me. It has been a pleasure assisting you today.

That confirms what I originally asked when I began this thread. Now, for the second part of my question:"I am not sure where the side releases are, nor can I find anything on the web telling me how to remove the panel without damaging the fridge door. Can you help?"

yes if you happen to have a putty knife or something you will need to wedge it down behind the frame of the control and gently pull it toward you. This is the only way to get these frames off. Just be sure to be careful with it as to not damage the frame.

I ​noticed that your question was still open so I wanted to follow up with you to see if you were needing anything further? Were you able to get this job done?

Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman