Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The ice dispenser flap keeps flapping. How can I make it…

Customer Question
The ice dispenser flap...

The ice dispenser flap keeps flapping. How can I make it stop?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Make is Maytag. Model MF12568AES

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

And about 10 years old. I will do it myself if I can.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The ice maker hasn’t worked for about 5 years. The water dispenser was still working.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/28/2018
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 4 months ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

The main board on the back of the fridge, the high voltage board is bad and needs to be replaced, that is the only thing that causes that issue. In order to give you the replacement part number I will also need the serial number because that model has series and you have to order the board by the model and serial number. Soon as I get that info I will send you the part number and instructions, thanks.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. I do not get compensated until you rate, so it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I’m not going to replace the board. I know that’s very expensive and I just want to make the flapping stop. If I knew I was getting charged more than $5 dollars to ask a question I would not have asked a question on this website. If my credit card is getting charged an extra $34 just to ask a question, I am not impressed at all.
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see the last person has opted out of your question!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.

But Joel was correct , The manufacture even has a Service pointer out on the very issue.

I can provide you with the part number you need to replace if you would like it .

And the $5 was only a deposit on your question and the $34.00 is the remainder of the total .

This is still a LOT cheaper then if you call for a servicer to come to your home .

In my area a in home service call for the tech to walk in the door and say HELLO is $125.00