Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a french door samsung refrig. freezer on bottom. had…

We have a french...

We have a french door samsung refrig. freezer on bottom. had the doors open for lots of use yesterday. this morning the led light in refrig will not come on.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Hold on

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

RFG237AARS

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

More than five years old...not sure exactly

3/28/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

It sounds like the refrigerator went into liner protection mode which shuts the lights off if the door is left open too long so that the bulbs don't get too hot and melt the inner plastic liner. Unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes and that will reset the liner protection mode if that is what occurred.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
These are LED bulbs
same fix?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
When i set the the temp it registers my desired temp. but the display reverts to 49 degrees each time????

Yes, the board is still programmed to act the same way. If it doesn't reset, then you have a bad board or a bad door switch that shorted out. The display is reverting back to the "actual temp" and has likely warmed up to 49 from the fan not running since the refrigerator thinks the door is either open (failed door switch), or it's in liner protection mode as stated before.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
ok...but one more thing i wonder...there is a small thermometer inside it's showing 40 degrees.

Not sure what to say unless it's just that area you're testing. Either you've had a second problem for awhile and you're just noticing it now, or the entire refrigerator isn't 40 degrees, only certain sections because the fan isn't blowing. If it's an existing problem, then you have a bad thermistor temperature sensor and you'd need a technician to fix that.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc