Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Maytag Atlantis dryer that heats for the first

I have a Maytag...

I have a Maytag Atlantis dryer that heats for the first cycle, then will not heat again. First cycle was about 4-5 minutes with flame. After it shuts off, the igniter glows about every 45 seconds, but no gas flow. I've replaced the coils recently.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

13-15 years old. MDG6200AWW

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I can't think of anything

3/28/2018
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. It sounds like your gas solenoids may be bad and need to be replaced. Do you happen to have a multimeter that we can test these parts with to verify?

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Gas-Valve-Solenoid/279834/3479?modelNumber=MDG6200AWW​

I do
I had this same problem a month ago, and replaced the solenoids. Dryer worked for awhile, but is back to same problem.

so the solenoids have already been replaced? This could be a problem with the gas valve assembly then.

I ​would still test the solenoids to ensure they are working correctly first though.

Okay. How do I test them? I know how to use multimeter, but don’t know the process for solenoids

so the link I sent you here has videos to show you how to test them. Just scroll down

Okay. I just watched it. Easy enough. I’ll go test them now.

sounds good let me know what you find.

The two prong solenoid gets no reading. The three prong shows between 1200-2400, depending on which prongs I’m testing.

if the two prong solenoid is getting no reading then it needs to be replaced.

Any reason that a brand new one would go bad? Before I put a new one in

sounds like it may have just been faulty honestly.

Bummer. Part #279834, yes?

ye​s that is correct.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me. It has been a pleasure assisting you today.

Also, does anything cause them to go bad? Too wet loads,etc?

no that would not cause them to go out. Mostly it happens if the ignitor needs cleaned or the flame sensor. May want to clean them up while you are at it. If to much gas flow clogs them this can happen.

Quick tutorial on cleaning igniter and flame sensor? I thought the igniter was too fragile to mess with.

that was meant to say the flame sensor needing cleaned sorry about that. the flame sensor will just be wiped down. Take it out and use a microfiber cloth to clean it.

th​is service manual may come in handy as well in the event you need it ever for replacing or testing parts as well.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sm-backend-production-attachments/09001a50803916a2/Service%20Manual%20-%2016023110.pdf​

Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman
Thanks a bunch. 5 stars headed your way. Have a great night.

Y​ou do the same thanks for the rating as well in advance.