Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My ice make doesn't produce ice. You can hear it working,

Customer Question
My ice make doesn't...

My ice make doesn't produce ice. You can hear it working, and even hear it tying to fill, but only a very few very small ice cubes come out. the water dispenser works fine. I change filters every few months.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Model pfss6pkxass, s/n hr555987, we bought it in 7/08

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If not to hard, I have lots off tools

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We have fairly hard water her. I do not have a water softener.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Appliance
3/27/2018
Appliance Technician: applianceguy, Customer Service replied 25 days ago
applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service
Hi. I will do my best to help you. Here is what I am thinking. You have water at dispenser. So we know the filter is clear. We know you have water at the valve. You hear valve activate when ice maker calls for water. So we know ice maker is calling for the water. What we are not getting is water. Either the valve is bad. Double valve. One coil for dispenser one for ice maker. Or water line is frozen. Not letting water to ice maker.
I am looking at breakdown be right back.
The water line runs up through the top of freezer. Disconnect at valve and see if you have pressure in that line. If you have pressure I would think it is frozen at top. If not much pressure the valve is bad.
Looking to see if I can find any service pointers on these freezing.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Where is the disconnect? This is a bottom pull out freezer with the ice maker in the upper left corner
Did not find any pointers on line freezing. If you think the line is frozen, remove ice maker and heat fill tube. Use hairdryer. Fill tube will come in from the top. Click on link below to see video on removing.
The fill valve is located on back of refrigerator. Where your water line comes into the back of refrigerator.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw2LjDK0fm0
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I will watch the video
The fill valve has two coils. One goes to dispenser. The other to the ice maker.
Here is another video. Fill valve. Generic, but will give you a good idea.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=es7hbHsauqY
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I will try the hair dryer, will get back to you tomorrow, who should I ask for?
Just post back. It will stay open.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
removed ice maker. heated water inlet. No action, made sure the ice maker was turned on. Is there any way to run water thru the fill time with the ice maker removed? That would be a way to check for freezing or other obstruction. Water spigot continues to work normally.
You could take the water line off at the fill valve. Not sure how you could push water through it though.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
since the water works ok, I don't see how disconnecting the input water line would tell me anything.
You have two coils. One goes to dispenser. The other goes to ice maker. One is getting water, the other is not. Not input output. To ice maker.
Take output from valve to ice maker.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
bigger job, ver large and heavy refrigerator, tight to get behind. will get back to you, may try and blow air thru the line
Water line is hooked up at other end. You won’t be able to blow air through it.
May clear out end at top. If anything in there.
applianceguy
applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service