Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a WTW5000DW washer and it does not drain 100% seems…

I have a WTW5000DW...

I have a WTW5000DW washer and it does not drain 100% seems to wash fine.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Whirlpool WTW5000DW0 purchased in 2016

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have done some work on it yesterday. I removed the interior drum to check for objects in the out drum. Cleaned it out but still drains most of the tub but no all. It does not seem to get up to speed in the spin cycle. it just grinds for a second then stops. The internal tub has a lot of water stuck in it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Thank you

No problem. So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing or possibly your drain pump being clogged up. Both the drain pump and the actuator motor are located below the tub and if you're wondering, the actuator is the part that switches the shifter next to the motor. You'll want to first check the drain pump first which is below the tub. Just remove it and if you find nothing inside, re-install and move onto the actuator. If you find debris inside the pump, remove it and try the washer again.

To access the actuator you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for part as well as video at bottom of link that shows you how to replace the part.

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off if the lid lock light is flashing that is OK)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “b” through “g” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one full rotation and the control panel should beep.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

f. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

g. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics. And all the LEDs should light up or flash if you did it correctly. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.

Also, below is a video that might help you pull up the error code.

CLICK HERE for video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Would that keep it from going into spin?

Yes it can. Both if the washer doesn't drain it won't attempt to spin, also when the actuator fails it tends to not shift into the spin cycle so the unit won't spin properly.

I removed and cleaned the outer tub and the pump. It does seem to get 90% of the water out but clothes are still very wet. Also should the spin tub hold water? It was very heavy.

The tub is designed to hold water below the wash plate (where you can't see it). This prevents the seals and pumps from dry rotting and seizing up. Most likely if it's draining to the point you don't visibly see water, then the unit is just not spinning and that is usually due to a bad actuator that needs to be replaced.

Sorry to keep asking this but just want to cover my bases. The water level is below the spin tub since I can't see any water when I open the lid. When the unit tries to spin I hear a grinding noise for a split second then it stops. would that still be the actuator or is something stripped?

That sounds like a bad actuator once again.

Also it was the spin tub when I removed it was very very heavy and seemed full of water. Does that water move out during the fast spin cycle? Just trying to understand why that was so heavy.

It's supposed to be filled with water to help balance the tub, so yes it's heavy.

Ok thanks. Sounds like a new actuator it is.

No problem and good luck!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc