Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Frigidaire dishwasher that fills up but then does…

I have a Frigidaire...

I have a Frigidaire dishwasher that fills up but then does nothing. I have cleaned all the filters and now it drains but still nothing else

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 2 years old. LFID2422RF1A

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I’d like to

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not sure

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Does it make any noise at all after it fills or fills and sits silent?

Hi Kelly

Good morning! :)

Sits silent

Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

No

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

There are two things that can cause the symptoms you are seeing. Either the control is not energizing the motor or the motor is faulty. Typically, when a motor is at fault, it will still hum or buzz, even if it will not start. So, since it sits quiet and you have no meter to test with, I would inspect all wiring between the control and the motor and replace the control if all found to be in good order.

The control is shown as number 3 at the link below, mounted in between the door panels at the top of the door.

CLICK HERE

Access to the control is gained by removing the screws from the inner door and separating the panels. All connections simply unplug and plug in.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

That should be the only problem??

Yes, I believe so.

if it doesn’t work

If it does not work after replacing that board, I would get a test meter so we can measure voltages but I am confident it is a control issue if the wiring is intact.

I had the machine pulled out. After I checked all the wiring I turned it on and then pushed it back in. Things went a little weird after that. Lights began to flash and then faded out. Now that it is back in I tried it again and I’m getting the original problem. Does this mean anything?

It sure sounds like a control or wiring issue. I would sure check all the wiring, especially at the junction box in the bottom right front corner and at the control and motor. I would start at the junction box, though, under the tub.

If I got ahold of a meter what do I need to check

At the motor, you can test between the two wires after it fills, looking for 120 VAC. If no voltage and all wiring is intact, replace the control. If you have voltage, replace the motor.

Got it. Thanks

You are very welcome, thank you!

One last thing. Just opened the junction box and the wire nut was melted and crumbled off. Looks like a small electrical fire

Oh, that is probably the issue! It fills because the water valve is low current draw, the motor is high current draw, so it probably opens that connection when it should be running. I bet you will need no parts.....

then just reattach the wires? Is there a chance that they were wired wrong?

Not wired wrong, probably just a poor connection. Cut the wires back so they are clean and install a new wire nut. Of course, make sure you turn the power off first at the breaker!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Of coarse!!! I’ll try that.

Roger that, keep me posted! :~)

I wired everything and still the same problem. Do you think the short could have fried the board

Yes, it may have caused excess current draw through the relay on the board. You will probably see damage to the board upon inspection.