Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My sister was visiting & put the lint screen of my brand new…

My sister was visiting...

My sister was visiting & put the lint screen of my brand new duet dryer in backwards! I guess she had to force it in & later realized it and my husband had to force it out! I was not home & noone told me until after she left, when I complained that my filter wouldn't go in all the way & the door doesn't always want to close. I realize that lint build up could also do this, bit I'm wondering if she broke something down in there when she forced it. Is that possible?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Aost

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Almost 5 because my warranty is about to expire. I bought the warranty in case my control panel went bad. I didn't want to waste it on the filter.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Where is the model number located on it? It's a whirpool duet. I got the set. Very pleased. Very mad at my sister for doing this! Planning to clean it out today!

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Ok

There is a metal spring clip down inside the filter housing that pushes on the screen to stop it from vibrating when the filter screen is installed. When you put the filter in backwards it'll often slip over this spring and hook on the bottom edge causing the filter to stick and you have to yank the filter out bending the metal spring. If anything was damaged, this spring may be bent if it won't allow you to push the filter down into place anymore after you clean the lint out. That would require taking the dryer apart (top panel, front panel, filter housing) to get to the spring so you can bend it back.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thank you! I wondered if they broke or bent something down there....I will look when we clean it out!

No problem and good luck!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc