Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Whirlpool washing machine (less than 1 year old) refuses…

Customer Question
My Whirlpool washing machine...

My Whirlpool washing machine (less than 1 year old) refuses to start. The red door lock light blinks on and off, nothing happens when I push the power button or the start button. I tried the control lock--holding it for 3 seconds, but nothing changes.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Less than 1 year old. Model number on User Guide: W10891955A, or same plus SP.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

What work? I just want to do some washing.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Tell me how to fix the problem.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Appliance
3/26/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 24 days ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Is this a top load or front load washer? The number you have listed is a part number, not the model.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Front load washer.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The lock light is blinking on and off. Power button does nothing, ditto start button. Door remains locked.

OK perfect. So the first thing to do is just unplug the washer for 60 seconds and see if the washer will reset. If not, plug the washer back in and wait 20 minutes in case the washer went into flood mode. After 20 minutes the washer should unlock and work like normal again.

If neither of those options work, you can call warranty at 1.***-***-**** if you wanted, or if you wanted to manually unlock the door to see if it'll reset, you can do that. There are screws coming in from the back of the top panel. Unplug the washer and remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back up and off. Then you can reach behind the front panel of the washer to the bottom of the door latch. There is a 1" round plastic pull tab that you can pull on to manually unlock the door. Plug the washer back in and it should be reset.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc