Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore 106.56536400 fridge and see on your site…

Customer Question
I have a Kenmore...

I have a Kenmore 106.56536400 fridge and see on your site where a tech asks if in the middle of the ice maker control module there are 2 clips in the middle of the gear and asks the customer if they are broken? they never addressed it any further and I am thinking one of the clips are broken on mine....would that keep the unit from producing ice?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Just gave the model...and its about 10 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Of course

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope...do you understand my question and problem?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 1 month ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

Give me a few minutes to pull up information on this model.
I am helping you along with other customers so there may be a delay in responses to do not panic just wait for my reply thank you.

no it should not stop the unit from making ice cubes.

If you feel in the top of the ice maker do you feel any ice or water in the ice cube cavities?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no I do not. on the site the customer issue was no ice being produced and the tech answered with the response around the clips being broken. I will say this - whenever I popped off the control module cover there was a tiny piece of plastic that obviously had broken off from somewhere....I though maybe that was keeping the gear from working

no it should not stops the drive gear from rotating if on of the clips are broken.

But if the ice maker cube cavities have no water or ice in them then you have a water inlet valve as the most likely issue.

does the chilled water dispenser work when calling for water?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the water dispenser works....why would the tech ask the customer about these clips if it doesn’t have an effect on whether or not the maker produces ice?

I do not know if both the clips are broken it could make the gear fall off the icemaker drive shaft .

But In my 38 years I have never seen the gear fall off .

And the icemaker would still have ice or water in the cube cavities even if the gear was off .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With the water dispenser working properly do you still think it’s the water valve?

If you have no water or ice in the cube cavities you have a bad water inlet valve on the ice maker side of the dual water inlet valve.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!
------> CLICK HERE<----- for the part you will need to replace.

Thank you if you have any questions just reply back to me .

Always glad to assist you anytime.

Thank you in advance.
If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Update: I replaced the water inlet valve but still no water getting to the actual ice maker. Water supply good, no obstruction in the line, etc. So, with the water dispenser having remained working properly from the start I decided to try something. I moved the water dispenser connection to the ice maker terminal and then pressed the water dispenser button like you normally would to fill a cup of water thinking I should get flow out of the black tube that fills the ice machine trough. Got nothing. Switched the connection back to the water dispenser terminal and water flowed perfectly from the dispenser when filling a cup of water. Any ideas of what to try next?
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 27 days ago

well the only thing you have left is the water line between the ice maker and the water inlet valve .

It is possible the line is frozen , very unlikely it would be kinked .

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I blew through the tubing and felt air coming out of the black tube so that tells me there’s no obstruction. Right?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The black tube meaning the black tube that fills the ice maker

yes that means the tube is clear !

And when you swapped the leads on the valve for the ice maker and chilled solenoids and then call ed for chilled water you STILL did not get water into the ice maker correct ?

I just want to be sure.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
That is correct. And when I switched them back to the correct connections I got water from the dispenser perfectly.

ok do you have a volt ohm meter? to test the solenoid coils on the new water valve

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Here’s the deal with that. After ordering the new valve I purchased a multimeter and tested both the new valve AND the old valve. The NEW valve reads 197 on the ice maker terminal and 255 on the water dispenser terminal. The OLD valve reads 257 on the ice maker and 346 on the water dispenser which tells me the old one has more continuity than the new! So, I have put the old one back into the refrigerator as it appears that it is in good condition.

ok so with the old one back in you now get water to the icemaker?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
don’t I wish! NO, the problem remains the exact same.

Wait on last reply!

when you open the freezer door on the right hand freezer wall do you see a blinking light ?

And if you get the blinking light if you press on the left hand flapper will the light go from blinking to solid

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I’ve already tested that the light blinks and becomes solid when I press the flapper. However, after pressing the flapper and then pressing the top button as if the door was closed the solid red light turns off. Is it normal to have both the flapper and top bottoms pressed and the red light OFF?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
8220;Buttons” not bottoms, sorry

yes when you press the top (door switch ) all lights will go off .

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok - well there is something that’s keeping me from getting water to the ice maker and the continuity seems ok, the line seems ok, so what else could keep water from making it to the ice maker? Oh, and one more thing. This model has an “arm” inside the ice bucket on the door where the ice is stored. I think it is supposed to be in a certain position for the maker to work. Can you confirm the correct position the arm needs to be in for things to work properly?

Let`s pull the ice maker loose and leave it hang from it`s wire harness .

Then with a short piece of #12 insulated romex wire you need to make a U shaped jumper and on the front of the ice maker (after you remove the square white cover ) you will see holes with letters next to them .

You need to jump out T to H and tell me if the icemaker then starts to rotate or not .

This icemaker should not have a metal; arm on it !!

Has this icemaker been replaced before?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I’m my mind with water having never made it to the ice machine isn’t testing the ice maker irrelevant?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Let me be clear - i am not referring to the metal arm on the outside of the unit as this one does NOT have that. I am talking about the arm that is literally INSIDE the ice Ben.

ok the auger corkscrew in the ice container not the icemaker!!

And yes we are going to test the icemaker itself next you may have not seen my post which was ((Let`s pull the ice maker loose and leave it hang from it`s wire harness .

Then with a short piece of #12 insulated romex wire you need to make a U shaped jumper and on the front of the ice maker (after you remove the square white cover ) you will see holes with letters next to them .You need to jump out T to H and tell me if the icemaker then starts to rotate or not .))
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Like i said, without water even getting to the ice maker isn’t testing it irrelevant?

ok so can you test for voltage to the water inlet valve ? when you swap the wires for the ice maker and chilled water solenoids

Did I lose you?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I’m not sure what you mean - can you explain the testing you are referring to in more detail?

you swapped the tan -white for the Yellow -white and called for chilled water and said you still did not get water into the icemaker when you called for chilled water .

I just want to be 100% sure then when you do that (call for chilled water at the front dispenser ) that you are in fact getting 120 volts to the icemaker solenoid to tell it to open .

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
what exactly are you asking g me to test? Like you said I switched the connections but still did not get any water to the ice maker. Are you asking me about a different test or just confirming the one I already did?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Or maybe I should ask this way - how do I confirm that I’m getting 120 volts to the ice maker solenoid?

a different test now when your doing that same test I need you to test the wire to see if in fact you are getting 120 volts to the water inlet solenoid for the icemaker .

Your testing the Yellow to White wire on the harness that was connected to the chilled water valve .

I`m just trying to be 100% sure that you are in fact getting voltage to the icemaker valve for it to open .

At this point I`m suspecting the NEW valve but want to be 100% sure.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
You will need to explain or illustrate more regarding how exactly to do this test as it is beyond my understanding. I do not know where to put the multimeter prongs in order to conduct the test you are referring to.

ok remove the yellow -white harness off the water valve .

insert your meter leads in the end of the female terminals and then call for chilled water , do you get 120 volts when calling for chilled water?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
This is with the power to the fridge turned off, right? And as far as the test you are asking that instead of testing the water valve itself to test the connector that actually plugs onto the valve terminals. Is that correct?

Yes you are testing the wire harness terminals .

And the unit does need to be turned on and you calling for chilled water at the dispenser in the door .

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I’ll need a second person to engage the despencer on the door as I’m testing the connection at the rear of the fridge, right?

that or insert your meter leads on the Yellow -white wire harness and set your meter on the side of the refrigerator so you can see your meter when you are calling for chilled water .

ok so slide the yellow -white harness wire on the icemaker valve male terminals just enough room for your meter leads to touch the male valve terminal .

And for that you may need a second person

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Plus, for the water despencer to work doesn’t it have to be sending 120 volts?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Again, you’ve lost me as I Need photos or an illustration of how to do this stuff.

yes that is why I want to bE 100% sure your getting voltage ot the valve before I say the NEw valve is bad

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I have the old valve in anyway as it has more continuity than the new one remember? I was going to send the new one back as my old one seems fine.

Ok I think it seems as we have gone as far as we can with your mechanical abilities .

I recommend it is time to call in a service company and have them look at the unit .

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
All I know is that the water dispenser works perfectly which means I should not have to test for the 120 volts as it’s obviously getting 120 volts otherwise it wouldn’t work, right? If so, then let’s move beyond the test you are asking me to conduct as it seems irrelevant similar to testing the ice maker when there’s no water getting to it to begin with.

correct , But I was just trying to be 100% sure .

Yes I agree if you have it wired the original way tan -white to the ice maker solenoid and Yellow-white to the chilled water and call for chilled water and you in fact get chilled water .

THEN when you swap the tan -white with the Yellow -white and call for chilled water you should get water into the ice maker , since the fill tube can be blown thru we know that is clear .

But your not getting any water into the icemaker ,

So I was wanting to be sure that you are in fact getting voltage to the ice maker solenoid when you had them swapped .

As I stated it appears that the new valve is no good , but you say you have the old valve in anyway and you STILL are not getting water to the ice maker.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Let me double check a few things and will check back in a little while.

ok no problem !

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok - I double checked and moved the ice maker connector to the water dispenser terminal and could not get water to flow from the black tube that fills the ice maker. Switched them back and water flowed perfectly out of water dispenser on the door.

Ok and you are 100% sure that if you disconnected the Black line on the water inlet valve for the icemaker that you can blow into and thru it ?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I just retested it again and feel air coming out of the black tube inside the freezer.

so it HAS to be a bad water valve! the tube is not restricted and the valve is getting voltage nothing else it can be .

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
it’s possible to have a bad water valve even when you have continuity on both the ice maker and water dispenser terminals of the actual valve?

yes just because you have continuity does not mean it will energize the coil to open the valve .

Or if the coil is energized you may have something internal of the valve not letting water thru it .

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Remember, I did the switch test with both the old and new water valves and in both cases could not get water to flow from the black tube inside the freezer. So, in your scenario that would mean both the old and new valves are bad, yes?

from what your telling me correct!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
By the way- how is the ice maker triggered to start actually making ice? Does it somehow sense that water has entered into the trough and that starts the process or is there something else that actually triggers it?

The icemaker has an internal thermostat once the ice maker mold reaches 15 degrees then the icemaker dumps ice and refills with water as long as the ice container beem sees no ice to block the beem .

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Just a dumb question to cross off my list - if the water filter of the refrigerator was due to be changed about 2 months ago is there any chance that by being a few months past the scheduled change date that it could effect the water supply enough to where no water could make it to the ice machine?

No the filter only filters chilled water ,,has nothing to do with water to the icemaker.

Master Tech
Master Tech