Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Samsung RF217 refrigerator and the ice maker has…

Customer Question
I have a Samsung...

I have a Samsung RF217 refrigerator and the ice maker has ice in it but will not dump the ice and go through its cycle. Pushing the reset button causes the sensing arm to move down and then up, but the ice does not dump. This is after having been dormant for 3 weeks (in the "on" status), during which time the ice maker tray kept filling and water leaked into the ice and bucket and froze the ice pile. The ice pile had to be chipped away to remove the ice bucket. The ice maker may have also been partailly frozen as the ice pile extended to the ice maker tray. What is the fix?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The refrigerator is about 5 years old. The complete model is RF217ACRS.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The refrigerator has always leaked water when it is dormant, and has had trouble restarting the ice maker.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If pressing and holding the button causes the arm to go up and down but the ice won't break free and dispense, you need to order and replace the icemaker---it has just failed. Below is a link to the icemaker, and it's the most common icemaker to fail in the industry industry wide. The only good news is that it's half the price of most icemakers at $56.

CLICK HERE for icemaker

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.