Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Ice production very slight but lots of frost collection in…

Ice production very slight...

Ice production very slight but lots of frost collection in freezer compartment.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?

KTRC22KX WH20. Settings have been checked.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Could this be a defective defrost mechanism?

3/26/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

In short, yes it sounds like you have a bad defrost mechanism.

So let's start by explaining the possibilities for your symptoms. Frost build up inside the freezer compartment means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I will follow up on your suggestion later this afternoon. (I have an appointment I have to go to now.)

OK. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc