Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool gas dryer and it's not heating up and not…

Customer Question
I have a whirlpool...

I have a whirlpool gas dryer and it's not heating up and not going through the cycles.ive tested everything for continuity. All's good.it will run in the same position until u shut it off.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model # lgr7620lgo

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Appliance
3/26/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 26 days ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you need to do is take the dryer apart and then put the front panel back on with the door switch. Turn the dryer on and let it run for 60 seconds. Does the igniter glow or not?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No

OK and what have you tested exactly?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Continuity on all fuses and highlimet. All test good but I believe it's the fuse that controls the timer. It has 4 post on it .it test good on the red and black but nothing on the two purples.

That's not a fuse, that the cycling thermostat. The 2 purple wires going to an internal heater for low heating and it has a resistance of around 6600 ohms which is why you don't read continuity. Either way, it wouldn't stop the dryer from heating. There is a white plastic 1" fuse on the back of the dryer with 2 blue wires going to it. Test that for continuity with the wires disconnected and does that have continuity through it?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have and it's good.

OK, and the one on the side of the heating canister (back left corner of the dryer) with 2 red wires going to it, does that have continuity?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The only ones I have on the left corner is the fuse and below it is the one with two reds and two purples.the reds tested good but the purples Did not have continuity.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Mine dose not look like this one.mines on the upper right.i have two.red on top and bottom with a black jumper between the two.and I've tested both and they are good.

OK, well that's the diagram Whirlpool has for your dryer. Either way, if both are good, then you need to go to the burner cone. Test continuity through the small little dime sized sensor mounted to the burner cone. Then test continuity through the rectangular 2" x 3" box on the side of the burner cone and what readings do you get?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
On the 2×3 box I'm getting. .3 and no dime size sensor on burner cone.

You are correct, sorry I was reading the schematic wrong. OK so last check. Disconnect the igniter and test power between the 2 wires going to the igniter when the dryer is running. Do you have 110 volts or not?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I can't test the flame sensor when it's running. I can't get to it when the fronts On?I have to take the front off to access it.

You are correct. You do. And I didn't say to check the flame sensor when it's running. I said to check the igniter power wires when it's running. If you followed my directions before, then you have already done this when I told you to take the drum out and reconnect the door switch and run the dryer to see if the igniter is glowing---If this is beyond your capabilities and you never did my first test I told you to do, then it's time to call a technician out because I have now been helping you for an hour and it sounds like it was all based on you not even trying the first thing I told you to check.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Look man I only had one question. And never got my answer.if the mechanical timer is busted and not going through the cycles will that cause the heat not to work?that's all I need .

It can yes, but again, you're just guessing without doing the test I told you to do. If you wanted to guess from the beginning, why ask a technician unless you're just wanted to know if it's a good guess or not?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Because I've done all the test u suggested before I called you.and did not have an answer.so I needed a service technician to verify. I'm a licensed union plumber .Not a dryer tech.but thanks for your time .That I paid for.

But you haven't done all the tests. You haven't done the 1st test or the last test I asked you to do. That means, all the other tests are somewhat worthless. You can test 3 things and ignore the other things and you are no closer than you were before.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I told u I did these test beforehand. No in does not come on.and I don't really think it matters what order I do them in.do u have a personal opinion for me now that you know it does not glow red?

Not without testing power at the igniter. You still need to do that test while it's running.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Look man I just told u I did test it and it does not come on.but thank u for your time.

That's not the test I just stated to do.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Look tyler,your starting to piss me off.ive already thanked you for your time.

OK not trying to upset you---good luck.

John, Home Appliance Technician