Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Maytag MVWX500BW when washing it gets to the spin cycle but…

Maytag MVWX500BW when washing...

Maytag MVWX500BW when washing it gets to the spin cycle but won't spin and the lid lock light flashes. I've gone through all the diagnostic steps and it works fine in test mode. When you put wash it it it stops in the spin cycle and the lid lock flashes.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

A little over 4 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Trying to.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Actually I ran a small load of clothes (dry) and it worked fine. I've read reviews that this is a common problem with this model washer.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing. The actuator is the part that shifts the washer from spin to agitate and vice versa. To access the actuator you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for part as well as video at bottom of link that shows you how to replace the part.

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off if the lid lock light is flashing that is OK)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “b” through “g” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one full rotation and the control panel should beep.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

f. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

g. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics. And all the LEDs should light up or flash if you did it correctly. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click right and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.

Also, below is a video that might help you pull up the error code.

CLICK HERE for video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler,
I've gone through all the test sequence modes per the technical manual that was inside the washer housing. Is there anyway to jumper out the shift actuator to ensure this is the problem?
No, I'll try the test procedure again and go from there. Just wondered if the actuator could be bypassed

The actuator can not be bypassed. It does a lot of things like shifting the transmission and monitoring the motor speed as well as sensing the strain on the motor, etc...

Thank you, ***** ***** more things might be involved with the sequence operation. I'll run through the diagnostics again to verify the error codes. I was hoping it would be something simple like the lid latch. I haven't done a continuity check on that but I do hear it making contact.

You can't do a continuity check on the latch either, there are several sensors involved with the latch. But that wouldn't even let your washer even start a cycle if it were bad. Hopefully you can pull up an error to confirm, but if not then just replace the actuator as I mentioned before.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thanks again, I've repaired appliances in the past with little difficulty but the newer ones have much more electronics involved in sequence operation. Thanks for your help. I gave you a five star rating.

No problem and good luck to you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc