Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I was in the middle of paying for service and I los the

I was in the...

I was in the middle of paying for service and I los the connection regarding my thermador fridge

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

I already started the chat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a 10 year old Thermador fridge KBUDT4855E01, There is a chirp as a fan or motor cycles on. On occasion, it cycles on and off 5-15 seconds for a few min.

3/26/2018
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Normally that would be the sign of the evaporator fan starting to fail. The bearing on the fan will cause that high chirp when in early stages of failure. Here is a link to the part. It is behind the freezer panel. CLICK HERE PART, the only other fan it could be would be the condenser one by the compressor. You would have to narrow the noise down to inside the freezer or by the compressor.

CLICK HERE CONDENSER FAN

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

What would cause the fan to run for 5 seconds, stop for 1 sec, and start back up, over and over?

If the bearing is going bad on the DC fans they will start and stop

the noise is coming from above the fridge in the compressor area. is this fan serviceable from the front on the fridge

Yes you can get to it from the front top of the unit.

Thank you!

No Problem, All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
The fan that you suggested was not the source of the "chirp". I took the cover off to expose the mechanical area and the electronic circuit board. When I plugged the cord back into the outlet, there was a long beep, and as the refrigerator started up, the long beep was reduced down to a "chirp" about every 15-30 seconds. It sounds like a smoke alarm warning you that the battery is low. The chirp is coming from the circuit board speaker. Thoughts?Thanks

That could be a door alarm or just a bad board...First try to unplug the unit or shut the breaker off to the unit for 2 full minutes to reset all the controls on it. See if that changes the condition and let me know.