Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Samsung microwave model number smh9187st. There is…

Customer Question
I have a Samsung...

I have a Samsung microwave model number smh9187st. There is a round plastic cover on the inside top of the microwave. when the microwave runs it will arc off and on. I removed the cover and there is a stem with a round aluminum disk attached which turns when the microwave runs. there is a spot on this disk which has a place that is arcing every time it hits a certain spot during rotation. I have no idea what this does it seems to not do anything. The microwave runs fine when the aluminum dish is removed. What can you tell me

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Approximately 10yrs Model number SMH9187ST

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have background with electrical work

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What is the purpose of the spinning aluminum disk? it has a slot cut in it and does not touch anything as it spins

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Appliance
3/26/2018
Appliance Technician: ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician replied 25 days ago
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided, so I can give you an accurate answer.
Thanks

The disk is a microwave diverter disk that causes the microwave energy to bounce around inside the cavity randomly. If you have a black mark on it, it is probably carbon and that will react with the microwave energy, creating an arc.

If you can replace the part, that would be the best, ***** ***** could try taking a piece of emery cloth or a emery board for filing your finger nails and see if you can scrub off the black spot.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
There really isn't any carbon on the aluminum disk just an arcing spot. There is carbon on the plastic cover and a small place right above on the microwave metal top. If I clean everything up will that work?

I did some additional research for you on that part and I have found that it is no longer available from Samsung. So the problem being the plastic is a better result.

Just try scraping off the burned spot and it should resolve the issue.

I found on on EBay but you can look at other sites. click here

Here is the part number

DE71-60121A

I hope you feel that I given you my best effort on helping you out today with your problem.

Just Answers asks that you operate on the honor system for technician ratings. and this is how I make my living. May I ask that you please take a moment to rate my service positive for JA by selecting a Rating Star (3-5) on the top or bottom your screen before you leave today.

Even though you paid JA or Pearl to ask your question, they will not pay me until you have given a positive rating for my help.

If you want me to be able to come back and help you at a later date or time, you will need to rate my help today before logging off.

Once you rate my help you will be "locked in" so you can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge if you still need assistance.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out!

Don

Appliance Technician: ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician replied 24 days ago

I see you never gave me a rating for my answer on your microwave.

Did you have any other questions about it?

If not may I ask that you take the time before you log off to rate my help as positive (3-5 Stars) for JA?

Thanks

Don

ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician