Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio top loader. Trying to remove the…

I have a Whirlpool...

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio top loader. Trying to remove the agitator plate as some coins fell between the plate and basket. I removed the bolt and it freely lifts up about 2mm and hits something so it's not just frozen onto the shaft. Is there some sort of clip under it as I've been fighting w/ this for several hours now?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

WTW5000DW manufactured in 06,16 but bought it new 14 months ago

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, sorry, that's manufactured in 6/16

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All else is good

3/26/2018
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided, so I can give you an accurate answer.
Thanks

Are you trying to remove the agitator or the inner tub?

Agitator

the agitator should just slide up off the drive shaft, once you remove the bolt under the cap.

As is should...unfortunately, it lifts approx 1/16" and hits something. It moves freely up and down in that very short distance and makes a sound like it's hitting a pin or something. I really don't want to pry it up as it's not frozen by gunk. It is clearly hitting something

I think the easiest way to go here is to just supply you with the repair manual.

Is that something you would be interested in?

If it says that it should just come right off then maybe I'm at the point where I just try to pry it off. Wish me luck!!!

click here

right out of the manual

Are you interested in the manual?

Did you have any other questions?

No thanks. This is my only obstacle. This model has a 1/8" gap between the basket and agitator so coins get stuck. I have a feeling one, or a few, made it under the agitator as I was able to remove a couple that were still standing upright in the gap. I don't see how even if a coin made it under there, it would make it abruptly stop like this. Thank you for trying. I'll update once I try to pry it off

You may have something going on with the shaft coming out the bottom of the washer.

There is a motor rotor that attaches directly to the drive shaft that comes up through the washer and is bolted down through the agitator.

If you want me to link the manual just tell me.

I hope you feel that I given you my best effort on helping you out today with your problem.

Just Answers asks that you operate on the honor system for technician ratings. and this is how I make my living. May I ask that you please take a moment to rate my service positive for JA by selecting a Rating Star (3-5) on the top or bottom your screen before you leave today.

Even though you paid JA or Pearl to ask your question, they will not pay me until you have given a positive rating for my help.

If you want me to be able to come back and help you at a later date or time, you will need to rate my help today before logging off.

Once you rate my help you will be "locked in" so you can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge if you still need assistance.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out!

Don

ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician