Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Whirlpool Electric Dryer will not heat. It was purchased…

Customer Question
My Whirlpool Electric Dryer...

My Whirlpool Electric Dryer will not heat.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It was purchased Feb. 14, 2015 and the model number is *****

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is not too hard to do.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The Dryer turns on and runs but the heating element does not appear to work. This dryer was purchased in Texas and now is in the mountains of Colorado. I just installed the electric outlet and we are using a 4-wire pigtail. Could it require a 3-wire outlet?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 3 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

It does not matter if it is 3 or 4 wire, just make sure you have 240 volts across the RED to BLACK wires at the terminal blocl where the cord connects, if you do not it will run, but not heat.

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I checked the outlet and I have 120 volts on the red and black wire.

Yes you have a power issue you need 240 volts across the two. You have a power issue to the unit from the house.

I have a 240 volt breaker with 120volt on the red wire and 120 volts on the black wire.

If you put a meter lead on the red then the other one on black it should read 240 on your meter if not you have a power issue.

How do I get my money back?
A 240 volt circuit consist of two 120 volt wires which is what I have

Yes but do you read 240 when you go across the red to the black?

I do not think that is correct. All of the other 240 volt circuits tes out like I told you and they work correctly. I have a 240 volt circuit for my well pump, it test like i said and it pumps water.

This is really simple. If you have a meter and check from RED to BLACK your meter would read 240, if it only reads 120 then you only have one wire with 120 it should take about 1 minute to check across the red and black wires to the dryer when it is plugged in to confirm, I am not sure what else to tell you, but I can see you are not reading 240 across them and it will not heat without that. It runs on 120 since the motor is 120 volts, but needs 240 for the heater to work.

How do I get my deposit back?