Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an Amana Refridge. Model BX22A2W I am guessing it is…

I have an Amana...

I have an Amana Refridge

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model BX22A2W I am guessing it is late 80s or early90s

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can. The problem is that it doesn't defrost itself so it freezes up and if I defrost it then it will go for about 2 weeks before the air stops circulating up to the refridge part. The freezer is on the bottom and the fan for pulling air over the coils runs.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am sure the compressor is fine or it wouldn't work for the two week period.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

In the back or the cabinet by the compressor is the defrost timer. It is shown as number 25 at the link below. Can you locate that part, please?

CLICK HERE

I believe that I have located the part.

Okay, there is a little "knob" on it. Turn it slowly to the right until the refrigerator shuts off. Then, open the freezer door and listen carefully to see if you can hear any crackling noises within a few minutes, please.

What I thought was the knob you were talking about turned out not to be. I am not sure the line drawing that you are referring to is the correct one for my fridge. Could the timer knob be up further on the back of the fridge under some white styrofoam?

No, it will look like the picture below.

CLICK HERE

I have just looked carefully again, and I could easily see the part in the picture if it were there but there isn't. Could that timer be possibly behind the back panel inside the freezer? I gave you the model number, however there is also serial number if that could be any help in determining the model that I have.

See if maybe it is mounted in the front, under the door, behind the kick plate.

You got it. It was located under the door, behind the kick plate. I turned it to the right until the fridge shut off. I don't hear any cracking sound. I must tell you that I had just earlier defrosted the freezer, so I don't know if that would make any difference regarding hearing the cracking sound.

If it is recently defrosted, you probably won't then. I would replace that timer, it is most likely to be faulty. All connections simply unplug and plug in.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Do I need to turn the timer back to where it was?

Yes, it should go back by itself but I would turn it slowly until it turns on just in case. :)

Kelly, Appliance Technician
I ordered the defrost timer and have installed it and I find that it still is not defrosting. After I manually defrost the freezer it runs fine for approx. 6 days before the ice build up keeps the cold air from circulating and the fridge no longer cools. What do you recommend I try next?
Can I follow up with Kelly who first advised me?

Manually advance it into defrost again and see if you hear it crackling like we tried last time. Can you hear that or have you thawed it again?