Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a cabrio washing machine and it stopped with 55

We have a cabrio...

We have a cabrio washing machine and it stopped with 55 minutes left and won't resume

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum Model # WTW8800YC1. It had a 5 year warranty that looks like it expired 3/12/18.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I need to get it fixed asap. Not sure what I can do. Any suggestions?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It seems like it is frozen. I have to unplug for lights to go out.

3/25/2018
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided, so I can give you an accurate answer.
Thanks

If you press and hold the power button down and count to 10, will the washer turn off?

Have any error messages come up?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it just beeps
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this something I can fix, or do I need a technician to come to my house. What is the next step after the power button.

OK, let's try to get it into diagnostic mode

Select the speed button and follow these instructions:

Press it and count to 5

Release the button and count to 5

Do this 5 times and all the lights should light up and 88 should show, next

the washer should enter a test mode.

Let me know if you can do this and what happens

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I dont see a speed button

OK, then just pick any button other than the start button

there are three in a row to the lower right of the dial

Just pick one and remember which on to pressed

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now a green light is going off around the knob and instead of 55 it says Ld
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you mean soil level, spin speed, and wash temp?

Yes, any one of them

Pick one and do the press routine I gave you

Ok Ld is an error code that says the washer took too long to drain.

Does the washer drain normally ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ld light still on instead of 55 and dotted green light still on around knob and making beeping sound
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I make it drain?

Is there a Spin/drain cycle on the dial?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rinse, Drain, Spin. Should I see if it works?

If there is water in the tub, the drain should automatically pump the water out when you start it in that cycle.

The Ld code is indicating you have a problem with the pump, so it is questionable whether it will work. If it does not drain, you will have to replace the drain pump.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its not working. Do you know how much the pump costs normally to fix?

The pump is around $140

If you have a tech come to your home I would est around 260

You could save a lot by DIY, but it will require you or someone who is mechanically inclined.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. Thanks. Do you know how much a new washing machine costs?

Around 800 for the one you have.

I hope you feel I have helped you out with a decision today.

Just Answers asks that you operate on the honor system for technician ratings. and this is how I make my living. May I ask that you please take a moment to rate my service positive for JA by selecting a Rating Star (3-5) link on the top or bottom of your screen before you leave today.

Even though you paid JA or Pearl to ask your question, they will not pay me until you have given a positive rating for my help.

Once you rate my help you will be "locked in" so you can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge if you still need assistance.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out!

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don was great 5 stars!

There should be somewhere on your screen to rate my help with stars

Thanks

Don

ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician