Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Its junk. 3 days. Its amana distinction. Side by side

Customer Question
3 days Contractor's Assistant:...

3 days

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Its amana distinction

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Side by side

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
The refrigerator is approximately 8 years old amana distinctions side by side. It is not cooling. The compressor and compressor fan appear to be working. I checked the evaporator coil inside freezer compartment and it does not get cold. I had appliance plugged in for several hours with no change.
3/25/2018
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 3 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

OK the unit is likely running low on freon, check and make sure the condenser is clean. If it is then remove the back panel inside the freezer section and check the evaporator coil. If only part of it is frosted and not the whole thing, the rest being bare aluminum then you have a freon leak. If that is the case the fix is too expensive for the unit and I would start looking for a new one. Note the refrigerator section often will maintain temps still because there is enough freon to get to 37 degreees, but not enough to get to 0 degrees. If it will not even maintain that it is completely out of freonl. Check that out and see what you find and get back to me!

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

The condenser motor gets warm but not hot. It checked resistance on all 3 pins with the starter relay removed and it tested good. Also the coils do not get cold at bottom or top. I can hear the compressor going "light humming sound" although I am unsure of how it should sound.
The evaporator fan does not work and will need replaced but if I am unable to fix it without needing freon. ..it seems pointpess to purchase a new fan.

Is the evaporator frosted over and cold?

Also, the temperature control switch is bad. I have taken it apart and made sure the 2 contacts were touching and am currently running it like that for testing
No the evaporator is at room temperature the entire fridge acts as if there is no cooling device at all

If the compressor is running and nothing is happening the unit is out of freon or possibly the compressor is broken and not pumping any gas either way the repair would be very pricey so I woould say it may be time for a new unit, sorry for the bade news.

Can I use a line tap and have fill back up? I read online the freon is meant to last and required no maintenance. If I am out of freon. . That means I have a leak?. Is there a way to do a pressure check on the lines

You need to add a tap valve evac the unit with a vacuum pump then recharge it. If the leak is slow you can add some sealant to the system to seal small micro leaks, but if it is big no. If it went down super fats often the copper line that sits in the water drain pan by the compressor corrodes and causes a fast leak. That is fixable if that is the cause of the leak.

The line going from compressor and on drain pan is green I assume that corrosion is where my leak is..

Yes most likely I repair that unit a lot for that, if it went down fast as in a day or less that is the issue most likely you need to cut out the bad section braze in a new one evac and recaharge.