Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have just installed a new HMD8541UC microwave, and when…

Customer Question
We have just installed...

We have just installed a new HMD8541UC microwave, and when you try to pop popcorn or heat water, you can enter the time, press start, the light comes on, the vent fan blows, but the food or water inside does not get hot. I've tried making sure that demo mode is not on per the manual on page 16, I've tried with demo mode on, I've unplugged for 15 seconds. Got any ideas? Thanks, David

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Bosch HMD (or HDM) 8541UC. It's brand new, undercabinet model with a drawer.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can. I am a mechanical engineer so am very handy. I've tried to see if there is a travel lock on the magnetron but with it installed, I cannot see anything like that. The installer doesn't recall anything that needed to be removed and the manual does not mention anything.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's all the information that I have for now.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/25/2018
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 3 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

When the microwave fails to heat, but starts up and runs with the lights and fans working that is typically only one of two issues. The microwave uses a part called the magnetron tube which generates the microwaves for heating. This device is similar to a light bulb and will just burn out out of the blue. Then the microwave will run and do everything as it should be but it will not heat. This can happen unexpectedly with no signs of failure prior to the cycle that stopped working. the other thing that can cause this issue could be a bad door switch. Mainly the lower door switch on the door interlock circuit can fail causing the unit to run but not heat. Typically though if that fails the turntable motor will not work so just confirm if the turntable motor is working or not when it's running. If it is the door switch is not likely your issue. the magnetron tube is an expensive part and generally will run between $150 to $200 on average just for the part. Often the cost of the part and labor exceed the replacement on most microwaves. The unit will be fixable it's just up to you of how much money and time you want invest in the unit as nowadays microwaves are so inexpensive a lot of these are considered throw outs. If you need any other help just post back to me and we can go from there thanks.

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.