Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE profile refrigerator. This evening I noticed the…

I have a GE...

I have a GE profile refrigerator. This evening I noticed the temperature control panel was not working nor were any of the electronic buttons at the top of the fridge on the inside. We unplugged it twice for over five minutes which did not help. My husband took the control panel off the back and we smelled a strange smell sort of like heating plastic

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's about 10 years old, it's a GE Profile side by side, I am not sure what the exact model is, how do you find out?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

PSS23MSTE

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

I'm sure this is a disappointing issue. This is a classic symptom of a bad mother board. The power supply filter capacitors on the board go bad and cannot supply enough current to the refrigerator and its associated components such as the dispenser interface.

The board is in the back of the refrigerator. The part can be found HERE.

Here is a video for reference - not for your exact model but helps with the replacement of your board:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dPDW0hlja8

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Engineer-Tech
Is it dangerous to leave it plugged in and what about the smell?

I wouldn't say it is dangerous since the control is enclosed behind a metal shield. The smell may be the capacitors on the board overheating. If it is not cooling, you may as well unplug it. If it is cooling, I don't think it will hurt to keep it plugged in.

Ok thanks. Do you have a recommendation where to buy the motherboard?

I did send you a source above. It is through Amazon. You could also get it locally but Amazon seems to have a good warranty.