Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a kitchenaid refrigerator. The ice maker had been…

We have a kitchenaid...

We have a kitchenaid refrigerator. The ice maker had been acting up on it and then finally quit. I had a refrigeration man out and he said it needed a new ice make, said it was easy to relace and why don't I do it myself. I ordered part number(###) ###-#### received it and installed it today. still don't work. It turned until the ejector forks were out towards the front and stopped. I think it is waiting for water. I took a heated air gun and shot at the hose coming out to the ice maker. It is worm and flexible and still no water. We have water at the fill faucet in the door. Any ideas as to the solution.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

4 years since we installed it

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Do you need the refrigerator model nuber?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

If you pour water into the icemaker and you have ice a few hours later, then I would look at the water valve or line going from the valve to the icemaker. If you don't have ice, make sure the icemaker is getting power and if so, your freezer is likely above 15 degrees - any thing above this and your icemaker thermostat will not trigger the ice to harvest and fill up with water.

Do you need refrigerator model number?

IF you give me that I can get you the part number for the valve.

What valve are we talking about? I installed a new ice make p/n(###) ###-#### You said it has to get to 15 degrees or colde before it will cll for water. Maybe I haven't waited long enough to get to that temp.

The inlet valve in the bottom back of the refrigerator. If the icemaker has been in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours with the freezer closed, it will have normally made ice by now.

Oh, it has only been in for about a half an hour. Maybe I should just wait a little longer

Definitely. It normally takes longer than that for the icemaker to get down to proper temperature.

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Engineer-Tech