Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I replaced the bake element in my Whirlpool oven. When I…

Good morning. I...

Good morning. I replaced the bake element in my Whirlpool oven. When I turned it on, there was a loud pop and a bright white flash from behind the control panel.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is at least 12 years old, and it's an Imperial Series.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I believe that the element I put in was not an exact fit. I think the prongs are too long and it touched the backside and shorted something out. I need to know what to replace and how to get at it. I am going to try and get the correct element today.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service
Hi. You will need to unplug unit. Remove back covers. Look for any burnt spots. Remove element and tape off wires for element. Plug unit back in and see if control works.
Let me know if control works.
The control doesn't seem to work. The indicator light does not come on.
Sorry for the delay. Can you give me the model#?
Where would I find that? There are stickers on the door but all the info is worn off.
There is a sticker on the back. The number on it is 090702G0520. S0846
That’s usually them. If you have a bottom drawer it may be on frame behind that.
Perfect. Found it.
Model WHE33310
Let me look. Be right back.
Control part # is(###) ###-#### It says no longer available. You may be able to find it on eBay.
You think the control knob is fried?
Breakdown shows control board. Element part # isWP9750213. If you just have thermostat you may be ok.
Ok, well the clock and timer still work. When I turn the thermostat knob, the light does not come on.
Turn to broil. See if it works.
No. Nothing.
Ok. Let me look again.
Can you take a pic of control panel for
Me?
is the part #. This is also no longer available. But you may be able to find it on eBay or somewhere else.
Ok, thank you.
You are welcome.
Welcome.
applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service