Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My freezer is making a whistle noise, what is the cause? It…

My freezer is making...

My freezer is making a whistle noise, what is the cause?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?

It is a Kenmore chest type model#253-6502100 the missing number has wash off the paper. No only the dial that has numbers it is set on 3

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if not to complicated.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The freezer is about 5 yrs old and has been operating steady.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

Is it doing this as it is running?

And can you tell me as to where this whistling noise is coming from?

is it from around the door gasket area or the mechanical compartment on the side?

Can't really tell it seems the same volume in the area around freezer.

if you unplug or turn the freezer off does the noise stop?

can't you give me some idea on it at this site. I unplugged it and turned it down it is at a lower pitch now but is still whistling. But I can't afford all of these charges to live talk and such I was looking for a idea of where it is coming from.

As stated in my first post ,If your referring to a phone call prompt I did NOT send that to you ,the web site that we are using does, NOT I!

!`m not sending you ANYTHING that is the website that WE are using not I

And how do you expect me to tell you what the issue is if you can not tell me where it is coming from ! you have to be my eyes and ears .

and if you have it unplugged how long did this whistling last after the unit was unplugged?

ok . I understand but is it in the motor or is it the seal, this looks in great condition, I know it may have weaken as the freezer is 5 years old, if in motor I will have to get a local serviceman to check it out as I don't know anything mechical
I let it set about 10 minutes unplugged and the whistle was still going but it was at a lower sound.

ok my question was when you had the unit unplugged WHILE it was unplugged how long did this whistling last ?

ok if the unit was unplugged it had no electricity for any mechanical component to work .

Are you 100% sure the whistling is coming from the freezer ?

It didn't completely quit it did get lower in sound

ok and after you plugged it back in did the noise get louder again .

but it didn't get as loud as it was.
Would it maybe need to be unplugged a longer period of time. The contents is frozen hard so it would keep without damage to food for a hour or two

ok ok so as the unit is plugged in and running and the compressor is pumping refrigerant thru the system , and when you unplug it the refrigerant will still flow thru and the stop .

So I have to suspect that the whistling is the refrigerant in the system as it travels thru the system .

So I would get someone to at least look at it .

If the unit is in fact cooling properly so that everything is frozen solid they MAY not be able to do anything to get rid of the noise.

Ok I will get a local repairman out to look at it I sincerely ***** ***** for your help. THANK YOU!

No problem !

Always glad to assist you anytime.

Thank you in advance.
If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.

Master Tech