Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

On my GE profile microwave / oven combination, the turntable…

On my GE profile...

On my GE profile microwave / oven combination, the turntable in the microwave keeps turning when the door is open, even if the microwave is not turned on

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is about 12 years old. Let me get the model number

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is rels

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If it is relatively simple. I have changed the bulb before so I did have it out and open.

3/24/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

When the turntable turns as the door is open, that is an indication that one of the 3 door switches has failed. There are 3 door switches on your microwave for safety reasons. The microwave is designed to give you this symptom if one of the switches has failed and the other 2 are functioning properly still to let you know there is a problem. You will need to test the door switches with a multimeter to determine which one is faulty, then replace the faulty door switch to resolve the issue.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc