Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool gold series refrigerator with ice maker…

Good Afternoon, I have...

Good Afternoon, I have a Whirlpool gold series refrigerator with ice maker in the left top ceiling and ice storage in the left door. My ice maker will not produce ice, I have removed the water filter and checked the infrared sensor and that seems to be working. The sending portion of the sensor seems to be blinking and there are no obstructions that I can see. The model of the refrigerator is WRX988SIBM01. I would like to know how to retrieve any fault codes to better diagnose the problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I believe we bought this unit back in 2014 and do you need another number other than the model number that I sent.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If I do need to replace the ice maker and or dual water valve would you be able to provide any detailed instructions on how to dismantle the unit and put it back together? Part numbers would be helpful also

3/23/2018
applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service
Hi. Does the sending board blink when receiving board flap is closed?
Hello, please explain to me what sending board blinking means. Right now I would like to know if there are any codes that would tell me more information
The board on the right is the sending board. Board on left is receiving board. Close flap on receiving board and tell me what light on sending board does.
Sending board and receiving boards are your optics.
Oh ok, got it will check now
Okay.
I checked the sending side with my phones camera and it is blinking erratically. Receiving board flap is closed.
Then the optics need to be replaced. As long as nothing was blocking the beam.
Should the ed sen ed Ingraham unit optics be a steady on to work properly?
Give me a couple mins. Trying to look something up.
Sorry about that last response, I was trying to respond on my phone and the about correct decided to work. Should the sending unit optics, when working properly be in a steady on state? No blinking?
Yea it’s ok, I understood.
They used to sell these boards as a kit. So I did not matter what board was bad. Now they are selling them separate. And they are not cheap. I am trying to locate the tech sheet. You may have one with the unit. Remove right top hinge cover. Look under cover and see if it is still with the unit.
I found the tech sheet per your instructions under the top right hinge cover. So what am I looking for?
Look for optics test.
Ok, so I found out that service test number 15 is the ice level sensor is blinking a number 1 with the flap closed and when I open the optics flap it now reads a 2 stating that the ice bin is not full according to the tech sheet.
it is saying optics ok. You will need to jump out ice maker.
Be right back.
Need to remove the ice maker to jump out. Click link. Generic video. But same style. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DXETmwq6aTk&itct=CBIQpDAYBCITCNOx8p3Gg9oCFQ_kwQodd5QCIDIHcmVsYXRlZEjLou7mkpT17ys%3D
Ok, upon further investigation I scrolled through to test 56 which is the ice maker error codes and it is displaying e2 motor lost position.
Screws to remove ice maker under it. Then pull forward.
it is saying ice maker motor is bad. Does it have a test cycle? To run the ice maker?
Sorry. The earlier version was much easier to test.
Tech sheet states that service test 59," ice maker motor" is used to activate ice maker motor sequence. I guess I will try to get motor back to home position.
Sounds good.
Here is a photo from the tech sheet. Right now the display on the fridge is blinking 10. From what I gather on the tech sheet the motor should be turning in a clockwise direction until home position is reached. I don't here any motor turning or any noise from the ice maker at all.
Now the resulting code states 02, and from what I can see on the sheet is that the motor is not turning and that the harvesting was not completed.
Yea if motor not rotating the ice maker is bad. Feel inside it. Do you feel Ice?
I really can't feel inside the harvesting forks are in the way. I do not feel any ice however.
Okay. Let me lookup part#.
Great thanks
Wpw10764668. Thanks for your patience.
Ok, so that's the part number to replace the entire ice maker? Another question, this fridge what looks like a low profile design ice make to it. How do I get the panels off to access the maker, I mean the panels have led lights built in them and I really don't want to break anything.
Yea the ice maker comes as an assembly. Not parted out. Looking at pic.
part number you gave me is the complete assembly
The only way it comes.
Open water filter. Remove two screws. Grab front of panel and pull down. There are tabs holding it in place.
Ok thanks for your help
welcome.
applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service
Have a great day