Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I own a GE refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom,

Hi, I own a GE refrigerator...
I own a GE refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom, model GDS20KBSBCC. I'm having ongoing ice maker issues.
Typically it's either fest or famine with ice cubes. And it seems to my wife and I that the colder it is outside the better they ice maker works. Even though the fridge is in our climate controlled house. Weird. Right?
What brings me here today is the ice maker is completely filled and frozen solid, dripping water into the cube tray. I'm frustrated with it.
Less than a year ago I replaced the ice maker. The only part I did not replace is the supply tube - the one between the water supply inlet on the fridge and the ice maker itself. No-one has adjusted cube size. The "stop making ice" flapper moves freely. I've turned the ice maker off and turned off the water to it.
We're fond of iced drinks. Any help/advice you have would be greatly appreciated!
3/23/2018
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

And yes the ice makler cycle by an internal thermostat so yes if it is cooler outside it would make ice more often .

And if now the icemaker is fill of water and has overflowed the issue is not the ice maker but the water inlet valve that allows water into the ice maker .

let me look up a part info for you .

Hi Woody!Thanks. I'm a computer guy. Plumbing and appliance repair is not in my wheelhouse. But I can turn a wrench.Any other details that might help?

ok This model did not come with a factory installed ice maker it was an add on .

Do you see a sticker on the back of the unit that gives an icemaker part or icemaker model number?

Alright...I found the instructions for the kit I installed: IM-4D. I installed everything except for the fill tube.To be clear, I just did a swap out. Part for part.

so you also replaced the water inlet valve? down on the back of the unit?

Yup. It has been a long day which included plumbing. I installed an actual valve to shut off the water to the freezer. So I skipped the fill tube. But everything else got replaced.Everything had been working for 9+ months. I use the word "working" loosely. As I stated initially somedays we'll get more ice than we can use, others, barely any. Some times small cubes, others hollow cubes.

And are you on municipal water supply or on a well?

Municipal.

ok and the icemaker is doing the exact same thing as it was when you replaced it and the water inlet valve?

And the water shut off valve possibly under the sink is it a clamp on over the pipe valve or is it a regular style valve ?

Thankful my wife has a better memory than me. :-) She says that it was not making any ice. I just ordered the kit instead of trying to diagnose what was causing the problem.The water shut off is a regular 1/4 turn valve. It WAS a vampire tap that leaked. I'm no plumber, that was a long, frustrating, day. But we have a local hardware store that made sure I had all the right parts.

ok so then you now have the icemaker now over filling and dripping in the ice storage container after you replaced everything correct?

Good summation.I know I keep mentioning the supply tube I did not replace. I guess because I'm second guessing myself and I read more than one thread that mentions it. I just want to make certain you have the information you need.

No that is fine .

From what your saying about the icemaker overfilling and dripping into the ice storage container , you have an issue with the water inlet valve itself .

And I can not find a replacement part for just the inlet valve , it looks as if it ONLY comes with the entire icemaker kit .

the water inlet valve is what regulates the amount of water that goes into the icemaker if it is filling with too much water it has to be a water valve issue.

That sucks. Sorry.There's no such thing as a universal inlet valve?I guessed that is where you were going. Are they repairable? Is it worth it? I want to say I bought the whole kit for less than $50 on Amazon.

no such thing as a universal valve , they go by the inner orifice size and wattage .

And they are plastic welded together so they can not be taken apart .

If you got the entire water valve and icemaker for that price I would just order a new one and have the other parts as stock in case they go bad , a new water inlet valve would normally be in the $60.-75 range just for the valve assembly.

IM-6D on Amazon for $90, free shipping.There are several inlet valves listed on Amazon, ranging in price from $12-$60.Ok. So, I'm going to order a new kit.What's the best method of un-freezing my frozen ice maker? Hair dryer? Or would it be better to replace it?

yes a hair dryer is best other then just removing the icenamer and running hot water over the ice cube mold area.

Thanks for your help Woody. Nice to have independent confirmation of what I suspected.Now we just need virtual installation services! :-)

Right .

Always glad to assist you anytime.

Thank you in advance.
If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.

Master Tech