Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Freezer in a side by side does not hold temperature,

Customer Question
freezer in a side...

freezer in a side by side does not hold temperature, refrigerator side has no problem

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Less than 2 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/23/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

WRS325FNAM

Sorry I do not work on Sundays!

If you open the freezer door look on the rear interior wall panel do you see any frost or ice on the rear panel?

And can you hear the freezer Evaporator fan running ?

No ice or frost on back panel, the fan runs occasionally. The fan appears to run after the temperature in the freezer gets to warm. The temperature seems to fluxate between -15 and +25. Food does not stay frozen.

ok can you pull the unit out and remove the lower rear inspection cover to see if the Condenser fan under the unit is running or not please?

Nothing appears to be running at the moment.

ok so if you have NOTHING running right now it may just be in a defrost mode.

Defrost mode swill last no more than 20 -22 minutes then it sHOULD tart back up and begin to cool again .

If it does not restart after say 25 minutes that that is part of the no cooling issue / not holding temperature that your having .

Just checked again, maybe 10 minutes later and the fan is now running

Ok is this the Condenser fan under the unit or the Evaporator fan inside the freezer section ?

Fan under unit, have watched the unit for quite sometime, it go’s a lot longer than 20-25 minutes between the fanning running.

ok when the fan is now running is also the black domed Compressor running ? you will need to feel of it for a vibration to see if it is running or not .

And just the defrost is 20-22 minutes long during a none cooling mode it can be off for longer , but the interior freezer fan should be running during the off cooling mode when the thermostat is satisfied and not calling for cooling also .

And I also noticed you said the temperature seems to fluctuate from -15 to +25 cand you say the food will not stay frozen , at even +25 the food should still be frozen sine even +25 is below 32 degrees (freezing)

The compressor is vibrating. I have seen the freezer above freezing on occasion. Not sure how often. Generally check temperature 2 or 3 times a day.
Have freezer on highest setting

ok How much food stores do you have in the freezer? 1/4 , 1/2 ,3/4 or full of food

Do you mean you have the freezer set at its lowest setting ?

lowest, sorry

no problem just wanted to be 100% we were on the same page .

You may have missed my question on how much food is in the freezer?

It is generally full or close to it

ok this temperature of -15 and +25 is that from the unit digital display or from a thermometer inside the unit ?

Thermometer inside freezer, I have moved it to different shelves and it shows the same result. I thought maybe I had a bad thermometer so I replaced it about a month ago and get the same results. I have the same thermometer in the refrigerator section and it shows the same temperature whenever I check.

ok great so if the temperature in the freezer is fluctuating from -15 to +25 and everything seems to be running properly , and you are seeing long times between it running and the freezer is full to even 1/2 full of food .

I have to suspect that it is an issue with in the defrost / electronic control that is the brain of the unit .

and it will need to be replaced .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!
------> CLICK HERE<----- for the part you will need to replace.

This control board is located in the ceiling /control panel of the fresh food section .

Thank you if you have any questions just reply back to me .

You said the interior freezer fan should run between cooling cycles. The last cooling cycle was over 20 minutes and no interior fan has come on. I don’t ever recall hearing one running. Could that be caused by a bad circuit board? Or could the fan just be bad. The temperature drops quickly after the compressor stops. The freezer is kept in a heated garage at a constant 60 degrees, so it’s not in Avery hot environment. Have cleaned condenser coils, they were pretty clean, just a few cobwebs. Didn’t make a difference.

the control board does in fact send voltage to the freezer Evaporator fan.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any component or voltage testing

You can test the fan motor to see if it is in fact getting voltage or not you will be looking for 120 Volts A/C