Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I recently bought an amana refrig. and we are having

Hi I recently bought...

Hi I recently bought an amana refrig. and we are having problems with frost building up and preventing the refrigerator section from cooling.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

4 mos. old model number AAAAAAAAABB1921BRM

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We had a repairman that was authorized by amana try to fix it but I don't think he knows what he is doing. Long story.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

He replaced a "switch" that is suppose to turn the defroster on and it isn't working very well. The refrigerator temp. stays about 45 and the freezer is fine. The vents are not blocked and the refrigerator is constantly running.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So it sounds like you already know you have a defrost problem. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own. If both parts check good, the display board at the top of your refrigerator section has failed and would need to be replaced. This is the part that actually controls and puts the refrigerator into defrost.

To remove the back panel itself, just remove all the screws going into the back panel to start. There is a plastic vent directly in the middle toward the top of the back panel that you must unclip. There are 3 hidden clips you must pry on with a flat head screwdriver to release this vent panel and below is a picture where I drew an arrow to all the clip locations you need to pry on.

To the right of this vent is a little oval plastic cover which houses a temperature sensor. Slide a flat head screwdriver into the slit on the front of the cover and pry in the hole to release this cover and get the sensor out of the way. Now you can pull the back panel off.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc