Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Kenmore model 11623612300 will not start, very old - SN is…

Customer Question
Kenmore model***********will not start ...

Kenmore model***********will not start

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Very old - SN is D33711694

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All standard checks about clogs,belts and filters done. The vac will not start with power head detached. There is no visible reset for the motor.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/24/2018
Appliance Technician: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 4 months ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
A reply would be nice. If I can fix it, I'll save the price of a new one. Must do either fix or buy.
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 3 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The most common to cause no power is a break in the cord, usually in the cord reel. If you pull the cord all the way out and move it around with the power switch on, does it attempt to turn on?

No it doesn't.

Okay, you will need a meter to test with to diagnose with any degree of certainty. We will need to determine if voltage is getting to the motor or not. If it is, the motor is faulty.

Have a meter - how do I access the motor without wrecking the plastic body?

I have not had that exact model apart but there should be screws around the edges. The parts breakdowns may be found at the link below that show how it is assembled.

CLICK HERE

OK got the cover off (checked a fuse and it's ok). What's next?

Do you have voltage to the motor when it is turned on?

I assume the black and white wires that connect to the end of the motor are the wires to be checked for voltage. Do you have a wiring diagram link (color coded)?

I have no wiring diagram available but the black and white wires should provide 120 VAC to the motor, yes.