Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Gs5sVAXVb01 is not cooling. An appliance tech told me it was…

Customer Question
Gs5sVAXVb01 is not cooling...

Gs5sVAXVb01 is not cooling. An appliance tech told me it was the condensor fan and motor. I replaced that and it is still not cooling. The doors got cold but not the inside of the fridge. I also hear a clicking coming from around the compressor area.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Gs5sVAXVb01 Whirlpool

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just want someone to properly diagnose the problem. I can provide video, photos, etc.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/23/2018
Appliance Technician: Melissa Martin, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 months ago
Melissa Martin
Melissa Martin, Home Appliance Technician

Good Morning My name is***** you hear a clicking from the compressor compartment it is the relay. Now, it can either be the start device part number WPW10189190, the capacitor on the start device part number WPW10662129 or the compressor windings are shorted, causing the relay to click. So it you would like to check the capacitor to see if it is goo, take a ohm meter or a multi-meter and set it to ohms Rx1 , place the leads on the capacitor terminals and see of the needle or numbers jump up and then go back down, then swap the leads and place them on the opposite terminal you just had them on and it should jump up and the go back down to zero. That means the capacitor is good. Can't really test the start device, but it you shake it and it sounds like sand or a bunch of pieces in it then it is broken. To check the compressor windings, with the starter off you can touch any two pins and you should get an ohm reading and none of the combination of pins touched should read over 10 ohms, if it is close to 10 or over ten the compressor is shorted out. If you need further help on testing or locating the parts and devices meantioned please feel free to write back. That is what I am here for, to help you.

Thank you! I will try this tomorrow and get back with you.
No readings on capacitor. When I shook the start relay it didn't sound like rocks or sand. The readings on the compressor were 20, 12.5, 15.

The readings that high on the compressor means it is shorted out. I am sorry to have to tell you that will need a compressor.

I went and bought a SUPCO
120/288 VAC 1 Phase 1/2-10hp Hardstart Relay and Start Capacitor and it is now cooling.

That is great. I did not tell you to do that because if your model has a electronic control in it, it can short out the control. I wish you the very best with it. Thank you.