Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

WTW4616FW top load HE washer. I was called to check it out…

Customer Question
WTW4616FW top load HE...

WTW4616FW top load HE washer. I was called to check it out because they said it made loud sounds like a plane landing in the house, then it died. I got there and it was dead. I tried to get fault codes, but was unable (turned left several turns, stopped at 12:00, then turned right 3 clicks, left one click, right one click. No lights, no response. I unplugged it for 3 minutes and while waiting, I removed the top half of the lid switch and inserted it into the bottom so I could observe what happens. I plugged it back in, and I was able to start cycle. It filled, ticking back and forth the whole time. Then it went into the wash cycle, but it only seemed to agitate back and forth very slightly. After watching do that for 5 minutes, I canceled the cycle and it drained. I tried the diagnostics again, but had no luck. What do you think this could be?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

2 years old, Whirlpool. I provided the model number.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's an HE washer. I think that's all. Maybe I'm not doing the correct procedure to get into the diagnostic mode?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
I checked the power outlet with an outlet tester and it said it was OK. The agitator rotates freely in one direction, so the dogs seem to be OK.
Another observation. I put it on "Light" as opposed to medium or heavy on the regular wash part of the dial, thinking I wouldn't have to wait for it to fill up all the way, but it seemed odd that it filled almost to the top row of holes on the inner tub, in the load sensing mode (there are only 2 options: load sensing mode, or max fill).I never got past fill and wash since I didn't want to wait around forever.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I'm going to sleep. Just reply via email with what further steps to take, or what you think the problem is. Thanks.
Tom
3/24/2018
Appliance Technician: Webb-Guy, Handyman replied 3 months ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question if you are still needing help that is?

Thanks, Travis. A bit too late. I was finally able to get it into diagnostic mode after trying over and over. It said it was the the shift actuator. I replaced that, but it didn't do the trick and I reported that the transmission was shot based on how I was able to prevent it from agitating by just holding the agitator with my hands.

are​ you saying you don't want any more help or it was just late that I responded? I am willing to assist you if your still wanting help that is?

I don't need anymore help. Thanks, Travis.
I will send this in to be cancelled