Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Kenmore Elite HE4t is giving me an error message of

My Kenmore Elite HE4t...

My Kenmore Elite HE4t is giving me an error message of "dL"and "F" and it won't start a cycle. Any ideas what's wrong with it?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's a 2004 year model and the model number is ***** 45996 400

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible. I've replaced the door handles and plastic window before. We have a circuit board that's new because wound up with two the last time we had it repaired. If it's a circuit board issue I'd rather pay a technician to do it but since it's a genuine GE replacement part Id rather not have to buy another one

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of at the moment

3/22/2018
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

That error means:

A Door Lock Error occurs if the door cannot be locked. It will try to lock it six times before displaying the error code.

In most cases that means the door lock assembly has failed and will have to be replaced. Unplug the washer for a few minutes plug it back in and try to run a cycle if the error persists replace the door lock. The replacement is listed below:

Washer Door Lock Assembly

Part #:(###) ###-####- click here for part info at sears

Below is a video showing how to replace the door lock on a whirlpool duet which is the identical procedure for your kenmore:

click here for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. I do not get compensated until you rate, so it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Joel Swenson