Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

A Whirlpool gold r: the refrigerator light went off but not…

A Whirlpool gold r...

A Whirlpool gold r: the refrigerator light went off but not all the way off. it now blinks weakly and produces an audio clicking sound. The bulb is good, might be a faulty switch.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I would guess its 8 years old. if you can hold on for a bit I'll try to find the model

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Let me know what you believe is the problem and solutions

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Do you have a full model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you just open the refrigerator door.

Stand by I try to get it. Model # GS6SHEXNS00
ARE YOU GONE?

Perfect, thank you. I'm here just typing.

OK so the only thing that can cause your issue on this model (and it's fairly common for your model) is the main control board relay on the back of the refrigerator down by the compressor isn't making a good contact. The clicking is the relay trying to re-engage. Either way, the control board would need to be replaced but the board you need is WPW10135090 and it's no longer made. Really the only option is to remove the old board and send it to a place like Core Centric Solutions to have them refurbish the board at about $175 and that takes about a week, but the refrigerator will not work in the mean time. I wish I had better news, but the tsunami took out a factory in Japan which made this part which is why it's no longer made.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! I'LL GIVE YOU AN F FOR THE SOLUTION BUT AN A FOR YOUR SERVICE.
Thanks for nothing I think.
George