Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool front load washer that is only 2 years…

Customer Question
Hi... I have a...

Hi... I have a Whirlpool front load washer that is only 2 years old. I have a new (unwashed) load of clothes in it and it keeps blinking F5 then E3. The door won't open. When I hit "control lock," the "Door locked" light keeps blinking and making a noise. What can I do? Thanks, ***** *****

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

2+ years... W10656457B is on the front cover of the use & care guide

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what it is

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just need to get the door open for starters

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/22/2018
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 3 months ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

That error code in most cases means the lid lock mechanism has failed and will need to be replaced. You can manually unlock the washer door and see if the issue continues if so you will need to order and replace the door lock mechanism. To manually unlock the washer:

First try unplugging the washer for a few minutes and plug it back up and press cancel to see if the error clears and the door unlocks, if not manually unlock the door:

1. Remove the lower panel under the door by loosening the three screws under the bottom edge on the front of the washer. HINT: If you prop up the front feet of the washer with some small blocks of wood, this will make access to the screws much easier.

2. With the screws removed, the lower panel should drop down then come off. If the panel sticks, a light tap on either side will knock it loose.

3. Reach your hand up inside the washer behind the front casing on the right-hand side. This is where the door latch assembly is located.

4. At the bottom of the door latch assembly is a small pull tab. This is the manual release for the door. Pull the tab straight down and the door will come open.

after getting the door open try to run the washer, it may be fine , if you keep having this issue the door lock assembly will have to be replaced.

If there is no lower access panel on your model then remove the top lid on the washer and the manual release will be on top of the door lock instead of on the bottom.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. I do not get compensated until you rate, so it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi there,
I see you have read the answer a while ago and I have not heard back from you, if there is nothing else I can help you with at this time please take a moment to rate my assistance and if you need anything later on you can still follow up, thank you.