Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My LG front load washer model number WM2455HG will not spin…

My LG front load...

My LG front load washer model number WM2455HG will not spin on spin cycle and makes a weird grinding noise. I cleaned the drain trap. Also it spins by hand with no issue.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

As mentioned above the exact model is WM2455HG It is approximately 12 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

From my research I believe the problem has to do with the motor coupler. Although when I try to look that up all I pull up is info on replacing the rotor and stator. Is that the same thing?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

This model doesn't have a motor coupler. If it sounds like a grinding bearing, then that would require a rear drum bearing replacement and center shaft. You can usually open the door and spin the drum by hand to see if that's the case. If it spins smoothly then the bearing isn't the problem. Other than that, if the bearing is good it means you need to remove the rotor cover and check the center plastic splines that slide over the shaft to make sure they aren't stripped out. If so, replace the rotor. Lastly, if everything I mentioned checks good, replace the RPS sensor because it can cause the motor to do a lot of crazy things and it'll make some very weird grinding noises.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
It easily spins by hand. How do I remove the rotor cover

Below is a video that shows you how to take that apart.

CLICK HERE for video

Hi Tyler are you still there

I am here now, was there something I could help you with?

Hi Tyler. So, I ended up replacing the sensor first and it did not help but did stop the horrible noise. So I replaced the rotor because the inside seemed stripped. After replacing the sensor the horrible noise went away. Replacing the rotor seems to make a bit of a difference.
but now I am getting an LE code and it does indeed seem as though the motor is locked. I only have a small shirt in the washer at the moment. when I clear the code and try again, the drum tries to spin and kind of chugs around in attempt to start and thenmakes a kind of mild spinning noise. Then after a few minutes of it trying to do that the LE error code recurs.

If you turn the washer can you spin the basket by hand? If so and it's free, it sounds like you may not have the RPS sensor installed properly. Try to click it back into place again. If it still acts up, return and replace the RPS sensor again.

It does spin easily by hand.The RPS sensor nicely all clicked in int he right spot as far as I can tell. Can they tend to be faulty?

nope, no way to test or check the RPS sensor.

OK Ill give that a go.

ok good luck.

It had totally come apart!!! Could I have done that by tightening the bolts too much or something?

Possibly, it's hard to say I'm not sure.