Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Ge Microwave that now runs when as soon as the door…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Ge Microwave that now runs when as soon as the door is closed... it will heat a cup of water without needing to press any buttons/start, etc... I looked at the door switched and all tested OK for continuity and appear to be making proper contact when the door closes. any thoughts on what I should do next?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

JVM7195DF1BB bought Jan 2016

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes ideally

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No I think that is the issue...

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE microwave. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

I'm sure this is an unsettling issue. This happens when the relay on your main board is stuck and is causing the magnetron to run constantly when the door is shut. GE does not sell the relay separately. This necessitates replacement of the smart board. Would you like a source for this part?

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

can you tell me the part number and the source please.. thanks

Sure. No problem!

The part number is *****

Here is a source for the part HERE

Engineer-Tech
OK, just more information to see if anything changes. When I manually push the two latch switches (unable to reach the 3rd), the micro turns on when the TOP switch is depressed. I swapped the position of the top and bottom switch and the same thing occurs... when the TOP switch is depressed is when the micro turns on. Is this still pointing to the board or something else?thx

Yes that points to the board. The magnetron cannot come on unless the relay is closed. It is only supposed to be closed when you press start.