Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

WHEN I SET TIME TIME ON MY MICROWAVE IT STARTS TO HUM, TIMER…

Customer Question
WHEN I SET TIME...

WHEN I SET TIME COOK TIME ON MY MICROWAVE IT STARTS TO HUM, TIMER COUNTS DOWN AND TUENTABLE TURNS BUT IT DOES NOT HEAT. WHATS WRONG?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

I CAM'T JVM1190FIND THE MODEL NUMBER BUT I WOULD GUESS ABOUT 6 YEARS. THE NUMBER ON MY MANUAL IS JVM1190.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

IF I CAN.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

WHEN THIS STARTED YOU WOULD CLOSE THE DOOR AND SOMETIMES IT WOULD WORK.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE Microwave. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

So you mean that the microwave is doing everything it normally does except it won't heat?

Ok, does it sound different than it did before?

I’m still waiting for an answer!!

Did you get my request for additional information?

It sounds the same.

Ok, thanks for that additional information. I sure this is an annoying problem. If everything else works and it seems to go through all of the motions and still will not heat, your issue is almost always caused by a bad magnetron. This is an advanced repair and is hazardous. If you want to work on it, I can give you the part number. You would just want to make sure the microwave was unplugged for several hours before you work on it in order to discharge the high voltage capacitor. If you have someone come out to fix it, the repair cost can often be well over $200. This is often more than what the microwave is worth unless it is unique to your kitchen or has extended features.

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

how can I know how to rate you, I don't if your advice is correct until I do it??

Since I can't be there to troubleshoot it, I can only give you the probabilities based on my experience. Based on the information you gave me I can tell you that it is highly probable that it has a bad magnetron. If in the unlikely event that it isn't, then let me know and I will help further.