Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

When I press the "Express" wash button on my Bosch

When I press the...

When I press the "Express" wash button on my Bosch dishwasher the display indicates a wash time of 1:00 or 1 hr when the display should read 0:30 or 30 minutes. Until the last wash or two, it displayed the correct cycle time, but no longer does. Now, it always displays 1:00. Is there something I can do to fix this? (I've been sure to cancel the previous cycle before pressing "Express.")

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It will be two years old in July 2018. Model is SHX5ER55UC

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if this is a simple fix...

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't know. You tell me...

3/21/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The cycle time will self adjust according to the input from the soil sensor.

1. Do you live in an area with hard water?
  2. Can you please double check that model number?
The model number from the unit itself is SHX7ER55UC/74. Not to contradict you, but the time indicated for the express cycle has always been 30 min until about two days ago when it displayed as 1 hr.
We do not have hard water. I repeat that the cycle time is wrong for the express cycle. It should be 30 min. but it is displaying (and running for) one hour. There is no problem except that the cycle time is wrong.

I understand the cycle time is wrong, but the control will self adjust the time according to the input it gets from the soil sensor in the last cycle.

So if, during the last cycle, the soil sensor "saw" debris in the water (anything that breaks the optics beam), it will take that to mean that more time is needed to clean the dishes.

Meaning that there is nothing actually wrong with the cycle time being displayed and no reason to pay for a service call? When will the cycle go back to 30 min? An hour to wash dishes in the machine that we have pre-washed is a huge waste of energy and water.

Meaning the soil sensor is likely covered in "gunk." Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

See the attached page. I suspect the soil sensor just needs to be cleaned. The easiest way to clean it is to pour about 1/2 gallon of white, distilled vinegar in the tub and let it soak for 12 hours. Then, start the longest and hottest cycle (no dishes) and let it run the entire cycle. The soil sensor will self calibrate and should adjust the wash times accordingly after the 2nd or 3rd wash.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Kelly, you are indeed an expert. Thank you for your advice. It worked perfectly. In fact, the cycle time for Express wash returned to 30 min after the vinegar soak and only one long, hot cycle. You saved me a $100 service call. Thank you!

That is great news! Thank you for taking the time to post back, I appreciate that.