Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Whirlpool model gx5fhdxvy purchased in 2010. The icemaker is…

Whirlpool model gx5fhdxvy purchased...

Whirlpool model gx5fhdxvy purchased in 2010. The icemaker is filling with water and freezing. I hear clicking in the ice maker motor and the ice is not being dumped. I turned of the fridge for 24 hours in case something was frozen but it still persists..

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Purchased in 2010. GX5FHDXVY03

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I will try.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. that's it.

3/21/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your icemaker. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

Can you tell me if the icemaker is in the freezer or in its own compartment in the refrigerator section?

The freezer is on the bottom and the ice maker is mounted on the left side.

Ok, that's what I thought. So the icemaker will just sit there and make noise but never push the ice out?

Correct. I shut the fridge down for over 24 hours in case there was an ice block. When I restarted it,the water filled the tray and eventually became ice. It is not being dumped into the bin. I can hear clicking as if the motor is trying to do something but nothing happens.

Ok, that is because either the heater on the icemaker is bad or the motor has failed. In either case, you will need to replace the icemaker. Would you like a source for the part?

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

No thanks, ***** ***** appreciate your help.

No problem.

Engineer-Tech