Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool ice maker is at the top o. 1.5 yrs old.

Hello. My whirlpool ice...

Hello. My whirlpool ice maker is at the top o

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

1.5 yrs old. WRF757SDEM01. It's at the top left of the refrigerator. How do I remove it?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The ice smells bad and tastes bad. I replaced the water filter and charcoal filter and the fridge smells batter but the ice is still bad after running it for a week and discarding the ice.

3/21/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The water tastes fine, by the way. Just the ice is bad.

Understood. Sorry about the delay I hand to shrink the file down because taking this icemaker out is really a process. I would clean everything out above the ceiling and put 2 baking soda boxes inside the refrigerator top and bottom to absorb the odor. Odor will trap in the ice because air gets blown across it. Then it concentrates and gives a bad taste. Attached is the file on how to take the ceiling apart to get to the icemaker and such.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Wow! What an ordeal! I think I'll try the baking soda first. I thought the charcoal air filter would do the job but I guess not. Thanks for the help.
It appears the ice maker gets its cold air from the freezer. Should I put baking soda there too?

You are correct it does. And yes, that would make it even better if you put it in the freezer as well.

Thanks. Didn't think of that before.